This morning Liley Fisheries delivered new Rainbow Trout, Yellow Trout and Fathead Minnows that are used to feed the trout during the winter months. Be sure to stop by the pond, spend a quarter to feed the fish from the dock, and enjoy watching them jump! Fishing should be better now too! Don’t forget that using the fish food to catch fish (chumming) is not allowed. Do not feed the fish where someone is fishing. Many thanks to Tim Bradley and Dale Wark for taking and submitting these pictures! I have never seen the water so clear! To see more pictures, go to the Fishing Pond page under the Photo Gallery menu option above.
The following tips are recommended to give a fish released the best chance of survival:
- Use barbless hooks or flatten barbs on all hooks, this will help with the quick removal of the hook from a fish with less chance of internal injuries.
- Keep the fish in the water when removing the hook, the longer it is out of water the greater the chance of it being injured.
- Wet your hands before touching a fish, dry hands will remove the mucus that prevents bacterial infection.
- Cut the line when it is not possible to remove the hook, a short piece of line can greatly increase the chance of survival.
- Do not handle a fish with your fingers in the gill slits, they can be easily injured.
- Hold the fish upright underwater after removing the hook and allow it to swim away under its own power.
- Fish that are bleeding from the mouth or gills probably will not survive, go ahead and keep these fish.
PLEASE NOTE: You must be an ECHPOA member to use any of the 18-20 acres of community property. This includes the association building, fishing pond, dock, picnic tables, fire pit, horse corral, pasture, streams, wet lands, and beaver ponds areas. You also must pay for, and visibly display, fishing badges if you want to fish. To learn how to become a member and obtain fishing badges go to the ECHPOA Brochure link at the bottom of the Contact Us page. The Fishing Regulations can be found under the Fishing Pond menu option above.